Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Change of Focus

As I have said, I am feeling really good lately, both emotionally and physically. Although I still have some lingering health issues, such as the arthritis, I have found that a change in diet has dramatically improved or put into remission some of the really annoying symptoms I have had for a long time.

For example, by limiting my consumption of spicy foods and citrus, I have been able to significantly reduce the bladder pain caused by my interstitial cystitis. I went from needing treatments twice a week to only doing them 1-2 times every 2 weeks! Also, I have been able to lose 15 lbs and get rid of most of the water I have been retaining since the preeclampsia. When I avoid wheat, I have drastically improved the painful cramps that go along with my endometriosis.

About 2 months ago, I went to see my ob/gyn doctor, who happens to be interested in natural family planning and alternative methods of treating health issues, and he told me that I needed to change the way I ate. He told me that by adopting a Paleo lifestyle I could improve every one of my health issues, improve my fertility and lose weight. I was a bit skeptical, although I trust his opinion, and then he told me that he had lost 20 lbs in six months and reversed the beginnings of diabetes just by changing his diet. OK, I was hooked! I decided to give it 3 months, as he suggested, and if I did not have improvement by then, I would give up.

It took about a week! I lost 5 lbs in the first week, and I had a lot smaller appetite. But most of all, it was something I could stick with. I had tried Weight Watchers, AdvoCare, and other diets with trouble keeping the pounds off. Now, it's only been 2 months, but I feel like I'm not on a diet. The things I eat are so nourishing that I do not crave processed foods very much. I'm going to do a post soon all about the Paleo diet (or lifestyle) for those of you who are interested.

Anywho, my purpose in writing this post is to tell you that I will be somewhat changing the focus of my blog. I will be writing a lot more about eating. I have been using and coming up with some amazingly tasty Paleo recipes and I would like to share my knowledge with you. Not that I will completely forget about the posts on grieving, but now that I am getting past the bad part I would like to focus more on food, health, taking care of your body and how that relates to our faith.

I feel as though the sun is starting to shine through the dark clouds. This is an image that associate with Peter. I feel him so strongly when I see the sun, and I know he is really proud of his mommy.

So stay tuned for some yummy posts!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad for you, Lauren! I eat semi-paleo and I also find that it is surprisingly filling (and nourishing)!

    ReplyDelete