Thursday, April 4, 2013

Update on how I am doing after doctor visit

So I went to the nephrologist (kidney doctor) yesterday to get my one kidney checked out. The doctor said that my kidney went under tremendous stress during the pregnancy and preeclampsia and it is trying to recover. It is still having some trouble but he thinks if I go on a sodium free diet, exercise a lot, and continue with my blood pressure medicine I should be doing a lot better in a couple of months. Right now my body is keeping every bit of salt that comes in because my kidney is not filtering as well. I have gained at least 35-50 lbs, mostly of fluid, since I got pregnant. I gained 10 lbs of fluid in the last 2 weeks.

Sodium free - easy for him to say. Have you ever looked on the packages of everyday foods you eat and seen how much sodium there is in pretty much everything? I will do it because I want to get well, but it will be a very demanding diet. I will be cooking everything at home and will not be able to go out to eat at all. Even bread has a ton of sodium!

So I'll do this until June when they will check everything again. The hope is that by then my kidney will be back to normal and I will have lost quite a bit of fluid and weight and feel a lot better. The other thing they want to check is my thyroid function again. I developed hypothyroidism (thyroid under-producing the hormones) while I was pregnant and have been on medicine for that, but the doctor wonders if maybe I don't have the correct dosage yet.

So maybe not quite the news I was expecting, but I guess you can't be as sick as I was and get out unscathed. Please keep praying for me, I still have a long way to go before I am out of danger. At least I have a little baby saint up in Heaven praying all the time for his mommy.

Love you all,

Lauren

1 comment:

  1. Continued prayers for you Lauren...let us know if there is anything we can do! Thanks for keeping us posted and sharing your updates.

    ReplyDelete